Delicious Chicken Pot Pie recipe from a special edition Southern Living magazine. Yum.
Chicken Pot Pie
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups half-and-half
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 T butter, divided
1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas
3-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 (15 oz) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 T whipping cream (I used half-and-half here too!)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour, whisking until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add chicken broth and half-and-half; cook over medium-heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 T butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, season lightly with salt and pepper to taste; saute 10 minutes or until nicely browned. (Do not over stir!) Add mushrooms to white sauce.
- Melt remaining 1 T butter in skillet. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in peas. Add vegetable mixture, chicken, and chopped eggs to white sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fit 1 pie crust into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate according to package directions. Spoon filling into crust; top with remaining pie crust. Trim off excess pastry. Fold edges under, and crimp. Cut slits in top of pie crust. Combine cream and egg; brush egg wash over pie crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until browned and bubbly.